Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finacial Friday: Nestle's quote

Financial Friday is coming out on Thursday because it is important. (I boycott Nestle and encourage others to boycott as well. This is a simple overview of why Nestle is unethical). I stumbled upon an article today and it is not directly about breastfeeding, but it really is:

CNN reports controversy surrounding KFC's pink bucket campaign. Fried chicken is high in fat, hence an ironic connection to breast cancer cure and prevention. I agree--it is ironic and fast food/fried chicken is not conducive for a healthy body weight. Research shows that having a healthy body weight lowers cancer risk.

What I find interesting is what Nestle says about marketing and public health. Here is Nestle talking about the issue:

"Nestle tells CNN, "The goals of food companies, alas, are not the same as the goals of public health. Food companies are businesses that must sell expanding numbers of products. While it seems possible that their goals and those of public health could overlap, they rarely do. Buckets for the Cure gets money for whatever it does. KFC sells more buckets. Sounds good, if you don't think about it too much."

Take that quote and apply it to Nestle's marketing of formula -- sounds good if you don't think about it too much. They (Nestle) don't have the same goals of public heath, which is clearly for mothers to breastfeed.

For more information on those who raise awareness of Nestle's improprieties, visit some sites:

Boycott Nestle

PhD in Parenting

Baby Milk Action

7 comments:

  1. Can I ask a question? Why is Nestle being targeted when there are other formula companies out there as well? Similac and Enfamil, just to name a few, and of course they promote their products just as much as anyone else. All formula companies say "while breast milk is best, when breastfeeding is not an option formula is a subtle alternative." I read through the Boycott Nestle but I can't understand what they have done that is so different than what the makers of Similac or Enfamil have done. I breastfed my first two children, and then, due to some health reasons couldn't breastfed baby number 3 and he has done very well on formula. I'm not meaning to pick a fight I'm just really curious as why Nestle is being targeted in this area because the links didn't really explain it well enough to me. Thanks for helping me understand this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, you are fine asking a question! I do think that formula companies participate in sketchy marketing and advertising. Nestle, however, is the worst and that is why concerned citizens target them.

    For instance, years ago Nestle would hire women to dress as nurses (who were really not nurses)to distribute free samples in underdeveloped countries with limited access to clean water. Of course, by the time a mother's milk dried up, Nestle was long gone with the free samples.

    Since then, they may have sophisticated their practices, but they continue to disregard and violate marketing requirements.

    Nestle also claims that if they don't act like brats, "someone else will."

    Finally, many people boycott Nestle because of their treatment of labor concerning coffee and chocolate work.

    Here is another link to the unethical practices Nestle does: www.babymilkaction.org/pdfs/studentpack/spleaflet.pdf

    I struggle to eat a Butterfinger or support Nestle in any way because of their haughty attitude toward advertising standards and deceptive practices. I also found this to maybe explain the boycott better: http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html

    I hope this answers your question! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nestle is the biggest seller of infant formula worldwide and also the company with the largest number of WHO Code infractions.

    The other reason Nestle is often targeted is its reach. The other formula companies don't penetrate our homes with other products nearly as much as Nestle does. Most of us could boycott the makers of Similac and Enfamil without consciously doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I boycott Nestle, too, but it is a challenge. Nestle makes so many other products that it's really important to read the label. They have bought out a lot of other companies, so something that looks like it's made by one company could actually be owned by Nestle.

    I hadn't thought about the KFC campaign as being controversial, but now I can understand why it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a real challenge. I have inadvertently bought something only to find out it was Nestle. I am learning all of their products, but it is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I will ever get through this long list of wonderful bloggers! Stopping by to visit from the UBP. Maybe one day I will get through this list. Hope to chat with you soon! I love your website!

    Jennifer

    Come visit me at jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!