Thursday, April 8, 2010

SAHM Struggle: Organization

Organization with kids is a "haha" rub my tummy joke. Even though I consider myself put-together and organized, my house is not. This is a huge struggle for me mentally because I like organization so much. I am paid to write about organization. I did my master's research project on organization. (I'll spare you the link to that one). I guest blog about organization. I organize my pictures and my bills; my scrapbooking supplies and my laundry. This ongoing organization struggle with my kids, though, needs some analysis.

Their attention spans are short and I understand that. They want to read a book, oh eat Cheerios, and oh look! outside!! So getting them to clean up is the relatively difficult part. Keeping them picked up. All of this would tie back to....

Toys. They have a thousand toys and that probably isn't an exaggeration. Ty may have 200 cars. Za is only one but her doll collection is extensive. Why? (analyze, analyze) Both sets of grandparents are divorced. They have many aunts and uncles. We live in a close neighborhood and my kids get presents from our neighbors for both Christmas and birthdays. We are fortunate to have so many caring and loving people love our kids. I must do something about the toys though, regardless of the sentimentality.

We can't play in the playroom and we look for puzzle pieces more often than we put them together. That, of course, goes back to the short attention span because once we find all of Mr. Potato Head, we need to move on. It is very cyclical.

I can donate some of them or put some away. I could build shelves (or talk my hubby into doing so, right?) My current SAHM struggle is the mass of toys we have and the disorganization it causes. This will turn into a triumph, I am sure. Any advice, on how to do so?

10 comments:

  1. Hahahah! I wish I could offer advice on the subject but I am the WRONG person to do that! But if you find a great way, please share! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will, haha! I will just keep trying and by the time I figure it out, they will get married!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I came over from the UBP but was poking around and saw this post. I completely hear you - we have a small house and had to do something about the toy situation! Our kids only have 1 toy out of their rooms at a time, to start. There isn't a 'toy room'. And take one of those huge tubs, throw a bunch of toys in it you think they would yell about if you asked if it was ok they got rid of it - and don't ask them. Just toss it in there and see if they miss it. If, after a month they haven't said anything, take it to the Salvation Army. You can Craigslist it if you want but my experience is is that they somehow find it and pitch a fit. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Teacher turned SAHM too! Nice to meet you - found you through UBP. Love many of your posts (organization, playrooms, etc). all things I need more of in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! @Jen, I really might try that. I think I'm going to have a garage sale and then if stuff doesn't sell, I'll donate it to my church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll come organize for you this summer :)You know how much I love organizing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the thing! I love to organize (and I know you do too) but every day I do the same thing. Am I setting an example by showing them how? Or am I just the maid?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think when Ty and Za get older they will understand that life is better being organized, so yes, I think you are setting them an example

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter is 4 months old. We recently moved from our 1 bedroom condo in Chicago's South Loop to a 4 bedroom in the suburbs and toys are still crowding my life! ahhhhh

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!