Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SAHM Struggle: the news

I like being "in the know." I picture myself as a wood chipper with newspapers going in, information filed in the neat folders of my brain, and junk going out my ear. (Stay with me).

Look at all that fun stuff to read!


I pride myself on being "current" with world, national and local events. At dinner parties and movie nights, I rely on those files of information for discussions. Now that I have Ty and Za, this personal goal is probably at the bottom of any sort of to-do-list (that doesn't exist because I don't have time to write it).

I don't watch the news. I get the Sunday paper, but never read through it. Why could this be? Well...

1. We limit television. If I have the news on, the kids will watch it and stare at it like zombies. Plus, the news is normally scary.

2. I have no idea where the paper is. It comes in the house, I try to read parts of it and I eventually just pull the coupons from little hands. In the end I am lucky if it is not an art project by noon.

3. My head hurts. It really hurts most days, but that isn't what I mean. I keep so much on my mind and track where the kids are while they are awake. Reading the White House's press releases or the local wedding announcements would only add to more to remember. My wood chipper is currently broken.

To offset this SAHM challenge, I am currently reading A Free Life which is fabulous. This is not 'news' but it covers a very different culture than mine - very educational and an easy read. I am looking for other short reads to keep me updated, but without much luck. My friend suggested smut magazines, but I have never cared for celebrity gossip which I realize is a quick read, but not interesting to me.  So here is my SAHM struggle for the week: I am out of the loop. I don't know how to counteract this either, except waiting it out until the kids are older and start studying current events in school. Then we can discuss them together.

SAHM successes are important, and their value will show in our children. 

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!