Monday, June 3, 2013

Elementary Kids Summer Activity: Week Two

10 weeks of summer left!

We are full swing into summer. Ty easily adjusted to sleeping a bit later and both kids love spending time outside. They cannot get enough of playing outdoors. Their inventive games and quests to go higher on the swings really are the moments I hope I smile about when they are teenagers or away at college internships.

They also took well to the "school" we do during the work week. It doesn't even last an hour, but this is what we do:

* Word, math problem, and quote of the day. Bible quote of the week.

* Discussions about what they think is interesting, if anything.

* Study sheets. Both have workbooks that include mazes, coloring projects, letters, etc. (I bought them from a discount store). Sometimes I find fun sheets online; sometimes they relate to the word of the day, other times not.



I hope anyone doing the "of the days" with me is enjoying them. Here is week two.

Words: (energy)

Solar: energy from the sun

Wind: produces energy by using rotational energy to drive a generator

Fossil: a natural occurring fuel formed by the decomposition of prehistoric organisms

Nuclear: powered by atomic energy

Electricity: energy from electrically charged particles.

(We are reading Ivy + Bean: What's the Big Idea. It is about global warming, so we have been discussing all ideas energy).

Quotes: (summer)

The summer night is like a perfection of thought. Wallace Stevens

In summer, the song sings itself. William Carlos Williams

Do what we can, summer will have its flies. Ralph Waldo Emerson

What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. John Steinbeck

Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. Henry James

Math

I did not like doing math problems from a website, so I made them up each day. My four year old got addition, such as 12 +1. My six year old is working on subtraction, such as 58-10.

Bible Verse of the Week

Matthew 18:10. See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angles always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Have a wonderful summer week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!