Thursday, March 28, 2013

Your SAHM Office is Your Home

You never leave your office.

In my former life I would leave work thinking, "what the h---- was that. I did nothing today." Of course I had done something. Even if I had not accomplished my goals, I had interacted with students and set an example for them. I presented material, and looking back, some of it had stuck.

I think.

Switching from a teacher to a SAHM, I honestly felt I would have good and bad days. After all, I would be with little students and I knew potential problems. I thought that the two jobs would be similar. I figured whatever struggles I had at work would be gone, leaving fewer struggles.

This is my actual desk - I barely have room to type.
I was wrong. I wasn't wrong because of what I thought, but because of what I ignored: when you work outside the home, you get to leave, to keep work problems at work, and to start fresh the next day.

True, the problems can go home. I brought papers home to grade daily, but I never brought a student home. I brought stress and concerns, but I had means of escape at home.

Your home is your office as a SAHM. And for parents transitioning to a new role, this is a shocker. If your desk is cluttered at work, you may have energy to clean the next day after having a reprieve. If your kitchen is trashed at "work," you will see that mess every stroll through your house.

I also failed to realize that I would have many "desks." I'm in charge, right? The cluttered stairs, playroom, kitchen, living room - it's all my domain. It drives my crazy, because my employees are a tad unpredictable and free spirited.

After acknowledging this, I began making my bedroom my safe haven. I try to keep kid stuff out of it, and my husband's stuff doesn't bother me. If I need to regroup during the day, I escape. I feel better and then I can return to my "desks," a tad recharged.

What works for other SAHMs? Do you have your own place, even if it is only your bedroom?

4 comments:

  1. OK-I like what you said about never bringing a student home. I've never thought about it that way when I have felt overwhelmed and overburdened. AT LEAST they don't come home with me! :) But oh the learning that could take place if they did.....

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I do not have my own safe haven. That's something I have to work on! I tend to use the dining room table a lot, but then things get shifted from here to there as company comes over or kids have projects. Definately different than being able to leave my classroom each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a working mom myself but when I had my two weeks leave from work, It felt like I am working more at home than at the office. I actually lost 2 kilos in two weeks. But yes I'd still if given a chance would want to be an SAHM one day so I can spend more time with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with all of you! I want to be a SAHM, I do. That doesn't mean it is a perfect situation (as I type this with a squirming baby on my lap). And sometimes my safe haven is invaded. I know that it will be over soon enough, and then I will have new emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!