Friday, February 19, 2010

Brain-Based Learning: Extra stuff

Anyway, because I so enjoy reading educational theory (I really do, I am really nerdy like that), I was reading and came across this powerful statement:

Use is required to strengthen the neuronal connections. The more a connectionis used, the larger the network grows, and the more secure the links become. The number of synaptic connections may also increase.

Thus, the old adage “use it or lose it” is true of the brain.

At the beginning of this series, I said that brain based learning is so simple and so true. How many times have parents or teachers told children to practice, to build a foundation or "the more you know the easier it is to learn"? Lots of times, and now we know it is true, because of the neuronal connections. (Pretty neat science-speak).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!