Sunday, September 27, 2009

SAHM Triumph: Improvisation

I naively typed a to-do list last week. Why bother? The one concept that being a SAHM has taught me--improvisation is key.

I once though that not telling the exact truth, the most honest idea that I would share with adults lessened my child. I didn't want to dent his trust in me. I was afraid of providing him with a shaky future. Now, not so much. I don't lie --I create, imagine, improvise. For instance:

Q. Why is the dog downstairs?
A. That's his clubhouse, like Mickey's clubhouse. Only it's the dog's clubhouse.

Q. I want cookies/cake/candy/chips.
A. I don't think I found those at the store.

Q. Why can't I play on the computer?
A. Computers are for adults.

Of course, the bigger improvisation is the avoiding technique like when Ty is throwing a fit and I say, "Hey, look over here! The letter 'A'! Let's sing the alphabet!!" 

Before, I always reasoned with Ty. I painstakingly explained, gave examples, talked through his issues, wondered why he had that question, analyzed, and on and on. My nature won't let me stop all of that, but since being a SAHM, I do appreciate and use the art of improvisation. I'm not sure it is 100% the best manner, but I am finding I need it to get through the day.

SAHM successes are important, and their value will show in our children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!