Saturday, October 17, 2009

Gardner's Eight Intelligences: Logical-Mathematical

This is an eight-part series covering Gardner's eight multiple intelligences and applying the theory with my children in every day life.

Sigh. Double sigh. This is my final eight intelligence blog. Also, this is my most troublesome intelligence personally. I hope I don't pass that onto my children...

Logical-Mathematical intelligence centers around, well, counting. Thomas Edison or other great scientists are mentioned when teachers discuss this intelligence.  Gerald Grow, Ph.D.
has the following to say about this intelligence:

Thanks to Piaget, the logical-mathematical intelligence is the most securely documented of the intelligences. This intelligence derives from the handling of objects, grows into the ability to think concretely about those objects, then develops into the ability to think formally of relations without objects.

When stated so, I become depressed. This intelligence so lacks within me, yet seems so simple. It has been a constant life struggle. I always feel compassion for my students who pay attention, try, study--and still can't find the direct object. I can't find X, so I empathize with them.


Ty is learning to count. Right now, he just overcame saying "1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 7, 8, 9, 10." He likes to repeat for emphasis the last part. We counted cars (he loves cars) and that helped. We've moved onto 'adding' which is really him counting his noodles and me dropping a few more onto his plate and him continuing to count. This intelligence is probably just forming in him right now. He's fine, I'm sure. This intelligence makes me jumpy, though. (I don't wonder why I saved it for last in my writing). 

It is a silly notion that parents don't "rub off" or affect or shape their children. (I'm big into nurture, not nature). Parents do influence their children's intelligences. I must not overly complain about math to my children. I don't want this area to be a "boys are good at math and girls are bad." My husband was fabulous at math classes and I never was. We can't change math's part in our lives, but we can give a united and supportive front when working with this intelligence.

Photo Credit

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Lauralee!
    Your blog itself, topics covered, and complete and total detail over here is incredible.

    I will definitely stop by again and check out what you're doing.

    You and I could probably share more than a few 'high school English teacher' stories. . . whew! what a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the nicest comments I've received about my writing, thanks!

    It is a crazy job! SO much to keep organized.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!