Friday, July 9, 2010

Finacial Friday: Cleaning Cabinets

Financial Friday covers a few tricks I have found as a SAHM for cutting down on bills since my family is down an income.


When I moved into my home, I painstakingly arranged the cabinets. In the kitchen, I labeled bags and containers. Dishes were stacked according to size. I regularly checked the "plastics" drawer for cracks and containers without lids. The bathroom was tidy as well. No medicine was expired and I even recycled shoe boxes to separate items.

Not my kitchen, but look at that organization!


It turns out that little kids love to dump out shoe boxes. My cabinets are in disarray (read: the kids find a way into them and my hubby and I hide all the medicine up high and the kids dump everything else out and no one can find anything). The result? We buy stuff we don't need, or we waste money.  I set out to fix this--and found out that I have items I really need.

Bathroom

In the bathroom, the medicine has to stay up high. It looks silly, but my kids find a way into those "child protective" locks. They really do. I did throw out expired medicine, though.

I found tons of useful items: sample shampoos, conditioners, and lotions. Once I piled the dumped bandages together, I realized I will never have to buy any again, or at least this summer. I have enough breast pads for three more children. I have plenty of "female supplies" as well.

Kitchen

In the kitchen, I did not find anything great, but I did get rid of a few items. This past Christmas, I switched to cast iron skillets, so it only made sense to get rid of my yucky chemical-laden old ones. I don't know why I kept them, but they sure hogged space.

I found tea bags, cocoa mixes, and small batches of pasta.

Under the kitchen sink, I discovered unused scrubbing pads and trashcan liners. I believe the trashcan liners were unused because they are an uncommon size, but I will use them for cleaning in the garage or sorting kids' clothes.

Overall, I found tons of usable products and cleared out unusable junk. I don't know how long it will last, but my cabinets are pretty clean. I feel good, and I know I saved some money from not buying doubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!